FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 09/18/2008
Hurricane Relief Information
FEMA victim hotline 1800-621-FEMA note: Please call this number and register as a victim if your primary residence has sustained any damage whatsoever as a result of Hurricane Ike.
FEMA Evacuation Hotels website: www.femaevachotels.com
POD: There is a POD that will be servicing the Alief area in District 133 located at Sharpstown Mall, 7500 Bellaire/ US 59. Opening time goal is 10am, today September 18th, 2008. This location still needs volunteers, if you can help please call Ernest McGowen, Jr. at 713-591-9094. HPD Chief Blake White will be in charge.
HHSC: We are working to open the offices quickly and an up-to-date listing of offices is maintained on the HHSC website at www.hhsc.state.tx.us
If you are from a Hurricane Ike disaster area <http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/GettingHelp_Assistance.html#counties> , or Leon and Rusk counties, and you already get food stamps:
1) HHSC will replace some of your September food stamps.
2) You do not need to come into the office or call us.
3)We will put the new food stamp amount on your Lone Star Card later this week.
If you are from a Hurricane Ike disaster area <http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/GettingHelp_Assistance.html#counties> and you don't already get food stamps:
1) You might be able to get emergency help if you lost income this month due to the storm. A family of 4 earning up to $2,915 this month might be able to get help.
2) What we will need from you when you apply:
· Proof of your identity and home address, such as a driver license.
· Answers to questions about your family's income and resources
3) Those who can get food stamps will get 2 months of benefits. If you can give more proof of income and resources, you might get benefits for a longer period.
4) You must apply by Oct. 17 by doing one of the following:
1. Visiting an HHSC benefits office <http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/IkeOfficeLocator.asp> .
Download an application, fill it out and take it with you to the benefits office. English <https://www.yourtexasbenefits.com/wps/themes/html/SSPortal/downloads/H1010_April2008English.pdf> | Spanish <https://www.yourtexasbenefits.com/wps/themes/html/SSPortal/downloads/H1010_April2008Spanish.pdf>
This is the fastest way to get help. If you can get benefits, you might get a Lone Star Card the same day.
2. Going online at www.YourTexasBenefits.com <http://www.yourtexasbenefits.com/> .
You will need to register to use the website to send in an application.
3. Calling 2-1-1.
You can get more information about getting food stamps and might be able to apply by phone.
After you dial 2-1-1, press 1 for English or press 2 for Spanish. Then press 2 for "Information about food stamps."
If you can't call 2-1-1 on your phone, call 1-877-541-7905. Both numbers are toll-free.
· What we will need from you when you apply:
1. Proof of your identity and home address, such as a driver license.
2. Answers to questions about your family's income and resources. A family of 4 earning up to $2,915 this month might be able to get help.
Contact: Maggie Irwin