AUSTIN, TEXAS — Today, Representative Drew Darby (San Angelo) joined members of the Texas House of Representatives in pledging support for House Bill 3, called "The Texas Plan," a $9 billion school finance reform proposal that directs more money to Texas public schools and lowers school property tax rates statewide.
Representative Darby noted that The Texas Plan gives rural school districts in House District 72 significant resources while providing them the discretion to drive resources where they are needed most.
"I applaud Chairman Huberty and members of the Public Education Committee for their hard work on school finance reform," said Representative Darby. "This Plan puts more dollars back into our rural classrooms and invests in our teachers. Rural schools, especially those in House District 72, will benefit from House Bill 3."
Highlights of The Texas Plan include:
• Raising the Basic Allotment from $5,140 to $6,030, a $890 increase per student;
• Lowering school district property tax rates by 4 cents statewide;
• Allocating $140 million in funding for recruiting and retaining teachers;
• Adding programs and resources for underserved students;
• Enhancing full-day pre-K for eligible students; and
• Updating the critical transportation funding model to a simplified $1.00 per mile reimbursement
To learn more, visit www.thetexasplan.com.
Contact: Laramie Stroud
36 W. Beauregard Suite 517