CEDAR PARK – Today, State Representative Tony Dale announced a scholarship opportunity for eligible High School students within House District 136. The Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program (TASSP) was created to encourage students to participate in Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) programs at civilian colleges and universities across Texas.
"As a U.S. Army veteran and graduate of Army ROTC I know first-hand the value of a scholarship like this. Not only is it a great financial opportunity for local students, but the military creates leaders who not only thrive academically, but are prepared to lead our next generation of patriots, “ said Dale.
In addition to the eligibility criteria listed below, a student must enter into an agreement for a four-year commitment as a member of the Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Merchant Marine or a commissioned officer in any branch of the armed services of the United States. A student may receive up to $10,000 for the 2016-2017academic year, and depending on available funds a, a student may receive up to four years of awards.
To be eligible, a student must meet academic criteria including:
• Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program.
• A GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Ranked in the top third of the graduating class.
• SAT score of 1590 or ACT score of 23.
• Be appointed by one of the following elected officials:
• State Representative
• State Senator
• Lieutenant Governor
• Enroll in the ROTC program of an eligible Texas institution of higher education.
• Sign a contract to:
• Remain in ROTC for four years.
• Graduate within five years.
• Enter National Guard service or accept a commission with the armed services within six months of graduation from college.
• Meet program physical fitness requirements.
Interested students that live in House District 136, who meet the criteria and are interested in the scholarship should send a resume, cover letter and proof of academic eligibility to my District Director, Dalton Moore.
Applications may be submitted by mail or email and must be received no later than Friday July 29th, 2016.
You can submit your application by email to: District136.firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailed items can be sent to:
State Representative Tony Dale
c/o: Dalton Moore
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768