AUSTIN--- The Texas House of Representatives adjourned Sine Die today after deliberating for 170 days through the regular and special sessions. Speaker Joe Straus declared the conclusion of two very successful and productive, though difficult legislative sessions. He thanked the members for working hard in a responsible and responsive way, representing the interests of every Texan.
"Since day one of the 82nd legislative session, the members of the Texas House have worked diligently to address the important issues impacting the people of Texas," said Speaker Straus. "We balanced the state budget with no new taxes, passed required redistricting legislation and worked to protect the precious privilege of voting, among other central issues. Though the going was never easy, I’m proud of the work the Texas House has accomplished."
A Brief Glance at Important Accomplishments from the 82nd Session
• Balanced 2012-13 biennial state budget that uses no new taxes, is fiscally responsible and lives within our means.
• Provided $1.6 billion more dollars directly to our state’s public schools, a 5.6 percent increase in state funding.
• Reduced All Funds spending by over $15 billion from the 2010-11 budget.
• Passed all four redistricting maps required this year.
• Promoted accountability and transparency in state government and in higher education and passed major sunset legislation including needed changes to the Texas Youth Commission.
• Reformed and updated the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association to protect homeowners along the Texas Coast.
• Protected the voting rights of military personnel who serve our country in the armed forces.
• Passed Governor's emergency items including private property protection, sonogram legislation, tort reform that further curbs lawsuit abuse and Voter ID legislation that protects the integrity of the ballot.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS